Florence & Myrtle uses 100% pure soy wax, natural cotton wicks and high quality phthalate free fragrance oils. We prefer pure soy as it ensures a clean burn with no toxins emitted. Soy burns at a lower temperature than other waxes, which means a much longer burn time.
This depends on the size of the candle you have purchased, and the manner in which you burn it. Due to the combined use of pure soy wax, natural cotton wicks, plant based essential oils and premium phthalate free fragrances, Florence & Myrtle candles have a significantly longer burn time than some other brands.
To give you an idea:
Tins 8oz - burn time up to 30hrs
Medium Copper and Gold tumblers - burn time up to 45hrs
Apothecary Range - burn time up to 55hrs
Geo Range - burn time up to 50hrs
Concrete Medium - burn time up to 60hrs
Concrete Large – burn time up to 95hrs
Large Clear tumblers - burn time up to 65 hrs
Signature Range - burn time up to 75hrs
Yes! We use non-GMO soy wax (derived from soy beans) which is a sustainable resource. There are no toxins emitted when burned unlike paraffin wax which is derived from petroleum.
Our wicks are also natural cotton and lead free.
Florence & Myrtle artisan soaps do not contain any palm oil, petroleum products, SLS or SLES, sulphates, phosphates or any other nasties. Our artisan soaps are biodegradable and grey water safe.
Florence & Myrtle soaps are made from scratch in a time-honoured fashion. It involves a very simple chemical reaction between oils (or butters) and lye (sodium hydroxide). All soap is made with lye, but there is no lye in the finished product. The chemical reaction converts the lye/oil mixture to glycerine.
Commercially made soap usually contains detergents, fillers, chemicals, petroleum, high animal fat content and irritants like SLS or SLES (sulphates). The glycerine content is removed which is why they never call their soaps “Soap” instead using terms like “Beauty Bar” “Moisturising Bar” etc.
While commercially manufactured soap usually costs less, the impact on your skin and the environment is shocking.
Florence & Myrtle natural artisan soaps are made with natural oils sourced locally where possible, organic butters sourced from women’s coops, contain natural glycerine, are better for the environment with no detergents, phosphates or sulphates, and are never tested on animals.
Plant based essential oils are naturally sourced directly from the plant. It goes through a very stringent process with many different grades available. We only use therapeutic grade pure essential oils which are then skilfully blended to help enhance mood and benefit the skin.
Fragrance oils are made in the laboratory and may contain some essential oils. Florence & Myrtle only use premium grade fragrance oils that are phthalate free.
Florence & Myrtle soy candles and artisan soaps are made with allergy sufferers in mind.
Phthalates are chemicals that act as binders and are found in many products ranging from cosmetics, household cleaners, personal care products, plastics and food packaging.
They are a huge class of chemicals (not all of which have been studied) but they have been shown to have negative health impacts. Researchers have linked phthalates to asthma, attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder ADHD, breast cancer, obesity and type II diabetes, low IQ, neuro-developmental issues, behavioural issues, autism spectrum disorders, altered reproductive development and male fertility issues.
Yes you can! You will need to use the contact page and please specify “pickup”. I will then send you an invoice via PayPal which precludes shipping costs.
Yes we do!
- Never leave a burning candle unattended
- Never use water to extinguish a candle
- Ensure wicks are uprights and trimmed to 7mm (1/4 inch) during use and each time the candle is relit
- Do not burn for less than 1 hour or more than 4 hours at a time
- Stop burning when 13mm (1/2 inch) of unmelted wax remains in the bottom of the glass
- Never move a burning candle
- Burn candles on an appropriate flat heat-resistant surface
- Avoid using in drafty areas, near an open window, air duct or fan
- Keep away from children, pets and flammable materials
- Do not use lid to extinguish candle
- Prevent soot from forming on the glass by keeping wicks properly placed and trimmed
- Never allow the candle flame to come in contact with the side of the glass
- Do not use if glass is cracked, chipped or broken
- If the candle has multiple wicks, they must all be lit every time the candle is used
- Never introduce liquids or foreign objectsw into the candle and keep it free of wick trimmings, matches and any flammable materials
- If the glass becomes blackened while burning, extinguish the candle, allow it to cool and clean with a dry paper towel
- When not in use, keep candle covered to avoid dust build-up
- Use a candle snuffer to properly extinguish a candle flame. If not available, blow gently and steadily on the flame until it is extinguished.
- Container candle burn times will vary. Fragrance, colour, burning habits and environmental conditions affect the time a candle will last.
Always use a soap dish that allows for full draining. Keep your soap dry between use and if possible place it by an open window to allow for faster drying.
Florence & Myrtle use natural organic ingredients free of chemicals and petroleum. We believe in minimising our global footprint and prefer to source ingredients directly from the producer. Some of our ingredients include:
Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Rice Bran Oil, Coconut Oil, Castor Oil, Organic Unrefined Shea Butter, Organic Unrefined Cacao Butter, Macadamia Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Sunflower Oil, Avocado Oil, Almond Oil, Sesame Seed Oil, Canola Oil, Neem Oil, Hemp Oil, Australian Clays, Hops, Activated Coconut Charcoal, Botanicals, Oatmeal, Manuka Honey, Coconut Milk, Goats Milk, Oats Milk, Micas, Pure Essential Oils, Fresh Ground Coffee Beans and phthalate free fragrance oils.